2017 was a year of study, practice and experimenting with oils. As such it really wasn’t a year where I had a whole lot to show for it with a couple of exceptions.
The first oil practice piece that I think wasn’t a total disaster. Was just a tiny little 3×5 scrap board
This was what I’d call the first ‘successful’ Oil painting, ‘Gnome Home’. (18″x24″ Oil on canvas)
And a last minute Christmas present to a co-worker of their doggie. (12″x12″ canvas acrylics)
Boy did this year go whizzing by. I’m hoping to finish up the year with one last acrylic painting. It isn’t looking like I’ll hit the 12 Paintings in a year that I hoped for. On the other hand I did blow that goal out of the water if you measure it by surface area. I was originally planning on 18×24 being the default size until I fell for the box 30x40s.
I’m still hoping to do all of next year in oils, but I may delay the start of that until the Jeff Miracola oil videos are launched, that would let me experiment a bit with acrylics before then.
Still having a hard time letting go of the feeling that everything has to be the most complete piece that pushes skills to the limit. I may do a bit of a mini quickndirty Painting challenge.
But for now the end of the year looks to be coming fast and that has all sorts of repercussions to ‘free’ time.
Finished another painting, tremendously happy with parts of it, but I think I need to take a break from these larger pieces for a while. It’s been very exciting to work big and loose but the surface area size and the quick drying time of acrylics are working against me at this point. But on the upside, it really feels like that’s something that’s been hard to get to the point of noticing,until recently. That has to mean that I’m getting to the point of making the mental shift from working to just get paint onto canvas in the right spots to the point of having a feel for the paint itself and having the working time to execute the mental image.
And that, is an improvement artistically.
Finished this piece, it’s a bit of sorta fan-art for the King Killer chronicles.
Whoa, been slacking this hot hot summer, at least on the blog post front.
I completely forgot to post the last painting So here’s a photo from my phone, it’s a bit blurry and has some glare so I’ll get a better photo someday soon.
Other news, The Dream Wars personal project is kicking off and I’m in preproduction of it, The first shortstory is written in rough form and character designs underway along with .. *tadaa* it’s very own website and webcomic longform engine (ComicBreeze for joomla, created by me)
Here’s the development mockup:
lots of new sketches but havent been taking photos.. did a bit of a doodle today in Photoshop..
Added 2 not so new (Nov & Dec 2015) paintings to the gallery.
I’m sure they’ll be replaced fairly soon as I hope to be cranking out newer and better pieces over the year.
The 2nd painting of the year (now almost a month behind schedule) is getting it’s final lines and color comp this week and Hopefully will be done shortly thereafter so I can catch up by the end of March.
First Acrylic painting of the year is DONE!
And I must say I’m pretty happy with it. Would have liked to spend a few more hours on it but that’s the way it goes.
And had another VPA hangout, this time I used Kyles Mega brushes and wow I love them so much.
been doing a lot of these.. Definitely feeling more comfortable doing it.
Prepping for the next painting and doing more Virtual Plein Air hangouts and gestures.
Have been going to a virtual plein air quick painting group.
Trying to get in the habit of roughing in accurate landscapes in short (10-20 min) sessions.
Just starting the next month of the Magic Box
here’s a first quick image for the Trees assignment
Still at it. Wow, it’s amazing how much of a difference repeated practice makes. Just in the pure eye to hand motion of being able to capture things in the right size / position.
Additionally I’m making excellent progress on the thirtydays.club website. The whole thing is coming together and I hope to have it ready for a late October launch.
On the downside.. the 3TB drive went belly up and a bunch of not essential but useful stuff went byebye.. All the really important things were of course backed up.. but there were a couple huge folders of painting videos that I’m going to miss having around. (the backup stopped working in June when I had to re-install the OS)..
Continue reading Gestures Galore
And to wrap up the second week, updates 9 and 10.
Still working on getting the badges system put into the whole thirtydays.club sit, and defining the suggested ‘rules’ But essentially I’m leaning towards enforcing it to a minimum of 5 updates per 7 day period (ie work days only) so that will allow for weekends off or vacation etc. Also you’ll be able to post images for the current 7 day period all at once, that discourages cheating and encourages returning to the site regularly. Still need to look into scheduled emails, or a 1 click create a calendar entry to import to your ical or google calender, to help keep the user focused on the task.
Looking back to day 1, I can clearly see that the basic 1 minute gestures are feeling much more confident.
So I’m giving myself weekends off, so 5 exercises a week for 4 weeks.
I’ve started building out the thirtydays.club a website for letting artists do this same thing and share the results and earn badges for completing a challenge. I’ve got a good 7 or 8 different challenges already planned out and the core guts (forum, social integration) is pretty much there already.
I hope to have the core platform up and running by some time in October.
Anyway here’s the next 3 studies. Continue reading Gestures days 6-8