Going to keep this short and sweet, can’t stop and reflect too much.
What went right:
- Web editor – having a web editor where I can make changes and just re-launch a level for testing was incredibly useful
- Music – the non repeating drumtrack for in game music works really well wit the musical queues
- Title screen fire – Damnit particles just make me happy.
- Pathfinding and combat – while it’s not the most dynamic combat (see what went wrong) it’s fairly well balanced.
- Flexibilty of code – adding new UI elements and restructuring how combat works 4 days from launch and not a glitch.
- Game website – Im really happy with the new http://www.drakkheim.com website.
What went wrong:
- World rendering – having to re-write the world map rendering took a whole weekend of progress and as such required that things like traps, and ranged combat got cut. no Elves or Kobold archers.
- Fun – the last minute changes to combat really improved the moment to moment gameplay elements, but really it’s not something you’ll be playing over and over.
- lack of animation – lack of variety – essentially more time to create art assets would have been really nice. I have a feeling this will be a recurring theme.
- Broken analytics – I totally messed up and forgot to install analytics on the website until 4 days after launch.. so I have no idea if anyone has even played it.
That’s it for now.