Whoo.. what a week.. not very much dev time, unfortunately.
I’m beat so I’m going to keep it to a short what got done list.. followed by a screenshot..
Bolt splitters are in and work.. (except for the rotation is a bit wonky)
the Level editor and Level group editors are almost done
The core applet is almost ready to parse all data from external sources.
Tweaks to some particles.
all the Elemental nodes now are renderable in-game and have their proper graphics.
Here’s a screenshot of where things are.
And here’s the list of priorites for the week:
All the ajaxy and facebook <–> applet communications need to get wrapped up asap.
Player object for storing scores
back to level select button
more particle effects
and so much more!!! Yikes!
At this point I’m getting pretty nervous weather or not I’ll even make it to complete by the contest end. Its looking like Some things are going to have to wait to be finished afterward.. Yeesh.. well. hopefully the baby will cooperate and I’ll be able to get stuff done in the evenings this next week or two.. cross yer fingers.
A couple of days late but much the wiser 🙂
Gameplay is now functional.. in that.. you can start a level and win it.
Here’a quick rundown of some of the new features.
The most important (that you cant see) is the new background simulation of the gameplay. This ensures that bolts and enchantments are registered properly.. even if the framerate goes to hell.
Items are now fully enchantable. They have a start and end state with misc metadata for use later on down the line.
The formula track represents the bolts needed to enchant properly.
We have a speed selector, this was a nice ‘free’ bonus of separating out the logic from the display.
Levels have names, a constructor and can be passed from state to state.
We have a text writer with a nice font.
Oh yeah more final artwork is falling into place.
splitters. gotta stop pushing that off.
sound for bolts when they hit enchantable object. and to add a playback button on the formula. So you can hear the CADENCE of the ENCHANTABLE item.. get it? I thought this stuff through eh? That and it makes troubleshooting your placement easier.
The toolbox area needs graphics.
The dialogs need graphics.
placeables need graphics.
particles need gra… well you get the drift.
oh yeah.. more levels.
Wish I could take a week sabbatical to do nothing but this.. but for now a couple hours here and there is all I’ve got.
We’re halfway through the contest… and I’ve just now got the essentials done.. Looks like there may be some long nights ahead.
Good week! Lots of nerdy stuff fixed and resolved. Here’s the picture and more details in extremely nerdy speak below.
The biggest things that got done this week are :
More per puzzle gameboard abstraction, so now the gameboard knows what things are where on the board, this made implementing a board rendering based on the Y coordinates a snap, so things now appear in front of the things they need to.
The beginnings of a more robust image/particle manager system.
A passable Level Manifest. A game Level can now be passed between the different Game States and (eventually) populated from the database via JSON jquery calls.
The biggest problem that popped up has definatly been the particle systems. The slick ParticleIO.load(xmlfile) works great locally however on a deployed Jar it really grinds things to a halt. This lead me down the path of trying .duplicate() on a set of master particles.. to no avail.. I also tried just loading them all at startup into a great big MagicBoltBucket… that worked but the applet startup went to ~2min …
What I’m winding up doing (still in the process of) is a) have an image manager that loads all the images needed ONE time at init and passes them out as needed. b) a great big bucket of pre-made Magic bolts that I can take and put from. c) Create all the particle emitters programatically.
Not entirely done with that, but the intial tests have the Initial filling of the BoltBucket down to about 2 seconds for 120 bolts. Eventually There’ll be about 400 bolts in the bucket at level init.
Not as much progress as I’d like, or on the bits that I’d like.. but that’s kinda how it works 🙂
Here’s the Screenshot and some more sordid details below.
Highlights of the week are:
Applet integration started.. The basic functionality now works in a web page
Mirrors (and indeed all placeables) now ask and respond properly to queries about their facing
Lots of new particle effects on Magical bolts (trust me they look way better in action)
This lead to some serious stuttering issues when creating all the bolts. This has been fixed by creating all the bolt objects at level init and just flagging them as no update / no render.
The big issues to tackle:
An update glitch that causes bolts to not register hits with mirrors. The solution to this is to just skip the ‘per pixel’ detection stuff and have the bolts just run a check against the game Board’s entity mapping table and see if the bolt is going to hit something and then find out if it needs to change it’s offset and direction or magic power type. This is a bit of work, but the initial stuff is really just taking too many calls and calcultaions to be done if I want it to start checking for positions in between update calls.
So I guess that’s that. Now I’ve got a pile of consulting work to get wrapped up by contest start of the 15th so that should work out just fine. But I’ve gone ahead and started thinking and planning a bit last night, which is what the paper prototype is all about.
I have a couple family things to do this weekend but other than that it’s crank out website goodness 🙂 Pretty proud of it actually..