So, I’ve been running around in the total overwhelmed mode for a while and it’s time to steer the frantic caffinated ADD besotted herd of cats that is my attention span back onto track.
Some basic concept art got created, and then I wandered off the project to illustrationland and then got mired down in EPIC project full of GRAND ideas etc etc and just essentially spent some time thinking myself to exhaustion. Time to think less and do more.
I’ve made a list damnit! With a great big list of bite size (a week or 2) tasks to do. I’m going to pick one and just do it and then simply rinse and repeat. Theory being that this will decrease the amount of time spent bashing head on desk/wall/art table/sidewalk by not getting overwhelmed by any one thing or medium.
Updates to follow.
It turns out that when you photograph the complete costume you get a reflection of your flash, for an unexpected happy accident bonus.
Had a great halloween/birthday weekend. Now back to work and then various other goodies. (fallout 3, fable 2, Warhammer, X3, farcry 2)… jeez come to think about it that’s a serious sequel overload.
Aaand I hope to have some actual painting pix in the next week or two.
And the work continues…
After some sanding the mask is given a nice even coat of grey primer.
Then the fun part, painting with acrylics, something that I’ve been experimenting with more and more lately so its nice to get a chance to just go a little crazy. I decided to go for more festive instead of dullish realistic colors.
After a bit more touch up and drybrushing workI grabbed some black ribbon and ran it through the holes and tried to figure out a way that would let me put it on myself, since holding the mask and tying 2 bows on the back of my head turned out to be… problematic. I wound up just holding the mask in place and pulling all the ribbons tight and then taking it off and tying all 4 ribbons together a little closer in than I had been holding it. This gave me a nice knot that i can grab on the back of my head and slide down to snap everything in place. It actually feels quite comfortable, surprising considering its weight. But it pulls tight against the forehead and rests on the frame of my glasses evenly.
Next up I got a small childrens black T-shirt and cut it in half and glued it to the bottom lining of the mask.Rinse and repeat for the other half of the shirt on the top part of the mask.
Put it together with a black shirt and the hooded robe and you get something like this. (Yeah its blurry I’ll get a better shot tomorrow) The glue still needs to cure and the fumes were burning my eyes a bit.
So I decided to be cheap creative this year for halloween and make my own mask. Something that will fit over my glasses.
So yesterday I made a thin sheet of Sculpey and placed it on som e foid which I then pressed me noggin into. Wrap some wires around it so it holds its shape and peel it off and slip into the overn, and presto!
Then put some foil on it.
Then Bulk it out
And finally Detail it some more.
Now its in the oven baking. then tomorrow some light sanding to smooth some bits and then some primer and painting.