Finally got some time to dev last friday and Made Progress(tm) since the week before was spent rebuilding the pc.
The Maze Generator works!
I’ll need to increase the internal branching, it’s a bit too linear right now but that’s just a variable that needs to be tweaked.
Rooms now get harder and harder, the further in you go. Next up is some minor UI tweaks and then a second enemy and that’s it for Milestone 2. Just a couple months behind schedule.. but that’s the way it goes on top of real job, consulting work, children and a house to maintain.
Things are going pretty well. The uncompleted ‘minimum required features’ list for the January Version is getting very small.
- Corner pillars at outside corners
- Fixing wizard shooting and movement (aka the Big thing)
- Death effects and sounds etc.
- Spider jump attack
New stuff added this week:
- Restart Button, Exit game button.
- Bolt Particles and light removal.
- Bug fixes with spider corpses falling out of the world
- Jucifying impacts on monsters & spawners
Now as to sacrifice….
Well you get what you pay for… and that’s the problem with using Unity 3D free version… It’s looking like I really Really need deferred lighting to make the wiz-bang light effects on the wizard’s magic bolts. In Unity Free I can only force a small number of lights to be precise. after a few they default to vertex lighting, which causes the odd lighting issues on the floor that we saw in last week’s build.
So, I had to remove the lights. and am replacing them with some particles effects for now. Maybe someday the $1,500 unity pro fee will be accessible to me but for now it’s utterly beyond my budget. (There is the 75/mo option, but even that seems excessive.. and at month 13, you don’t own anything unless you keep paying.)
So far that’s the biggest hurdle that I’m running into, but no doubt there’s going to be more design sacrifices due to inaccessible features.
Which leads to the surprise of the week.
Well… surprise for me.. nothing in-game yet… but Shader Forge came out which promises to have all sorts of benefits as soon as I figure out how to fully take advantage of it. (In related news… I don’t ‘get’ shaders yet… working on it..)
Milestone 1 is underway.
Pretty good progress this week.
The map generation is working, still needs a couple features, like designating spawnable locations and corner pillars and an occasional wall offset being mangled.
The World Controller object is successfully sealing a room and starting waves of challenges (Milestone 1 will only have one or maybe 2 challenges to spawn)
The actual eggsack spawners are doing their job (no graphics for em yet tho, just white capsules)
The wizard character moves and shoots, but theres some issues with moving into the player’s bolts etc, so the move and shoot stuff needs some significant rework.
Spiders die when shot! Eggsacks Die when shot! need to make the impact have more ‘oomph’ and some effects but the functionality is there.
I was hoping to get a unity wev playable up on the site this week, but there’s nothing really to play..Oh well Hopefully next week there’ll be at least a basic play loop in place.
The time to do this game has come. So it’s gonna be done right. No more Torque2D, Slick, or other homegrown from the ground, unproven frameworks. Time to do it in something that’s got support, community, a track record and a workflow. Aka Unity. And while we’re at it, let’s make it 3D, physics enabled and extensible by the user to add new rooms to the pool of maze chambers.
And let’s do it as part of this year’s OneGameAMonth Challenge to keep focused.
Oh and a list… let’s do a milestone list:
- Milestone 1 – Single Room – boxes
- Generate Room From Map File
- Player Spawns
- Move Player
- Player Shoots
- Monsters spawn in increasing waves
- Monsters Move toward player
- Monsters Kill player
- Shots Kill Monsters
- Monsters Drop Items (coins for now)
- Milestone 2 – Maze Generation, Enemy Waves, alt fire
- Basic level editor
- Single path maze generated
- Rooms have a level and determine waves spawned.
- Milestone 3 – Powerups and Loot
- Player attributes, health (shields?), Speed, Damage, Rate of Fire, second power manna
- Milestone 4 – A wizard
- Milestone 5 – Creatures – ? Alpha ?
- Milestone 6 – Menu and Starting area
- Milestone 7 – Decor and Juicify
- Milestone 8 – More Monsters
- Milestone 9 – Music and Sound
- Milestone 10 – Weapons and Karma unlockables framework
- Milestone 11 – Title Screen, High Score – Names of the dead?
- Milestone 12 – Beautification of textures and new textures/models for deeper levels?