Three Days

Three days.  That’s not a whole lot of time left.

The list of cut features is growing on a daily basis, and new incidental bonus things are beginning to crop up.

New Stuff:

  • Music!  makes a world of difference
  • New website area and working Facebook integration
  • 4 final levels (6 more in development)
  • new backend tools for tweaking text wrapping issues
  • new bolt particles and images and tweaked effects
  • improved dialog for failure 🙁
The Must Get Done List:
  • more levels
  • three tutorial dialogs (timing, prisms, advanced prisms)
  • signed jar
  • button noise issue
  • success dialog and information dialog images
The Would be Really Nice To Have List:
  • the final enchant tick fix
  • collision enchantment graphics
  • better /more sounds
  • Mac applet support (pc only for now )
  • emitter hover path highlighting and count to impact for making adjusting timing much much easier.
The Not Gonna Happen List:
  • Loading Objective images from site instead of in jar
  • Standalone App
  • Further FB sharing & Integration for wall posts.
  • Many more levels
  • More placeable types (triggers etc)
  • better level editor that lets me edit saved levels.

EnchantingUpdate

Not as much progress as I’d like, or on the bits that I’d like.. but that’s kinda how it works 🙂

Here’s the Screenshot and some more sordid details below.

Highlights of the week are:

  • Applet integration started.. The basic functionality now works in a web page
  • Mirrors  (and indeed all placeables) now ask and respond properly to queries about their facing
  • Lots of new particle effects on Magical bolts (trust me they look way better in action)
  • This lead to some serious stuttering issues when creating all the bolts.  This has been fixed by creating all the bolt objects at level init and just flagging them as no update / no render.

The big issues to tackle:

  • Java to Javascript to Java communication.  Because I really want to be able to send data from the database / facebook requests directly into the game.
  • An update glitch that causes bolts to not register hits with mirrors.  The solution to this is to just skip the ‘per pixel’ detection stuff and have the bolts just run a check against the game Board’s entity mapping table and see if the bolt is going to hit something and then find out if it needs to change it’s offset and direction or magic power type.     This is a bit of work, but the initial stuff is really just taking too many calls and calcultaions to be done if I want it to start checking for positions in between update calls.

Facebook Slick Contest And More

So not quite a screenshot Saturday… how about a paper prototype pass?

A quick paper prototype for Something exciting

Does time fly or what?

So ‘Interesting’ stuff is happening

In a bizarre twist I’ve wound up having to dive head first into the world of facebook apps.  So I’ve made a couple apps.

First up is a Simple Level Counter for use in card games… Like Munchkin (though I’d recommend their mobile phone App for that.. it’s awesome)

Next up, is much less useful (for now) a proof of concept Swiftthought Demo app.   This is an actual Slick applet that’s running inside a facebook frame.  Now that’s got potential.

So much potential that I was looking for any excuse to give it a real go.

And then a Slick2d contest started.

So I guess that’s that.  Now I’ve got a pile of consulting work to get wrapped up by contest start of the 15th so that should work out just fine.  But I’ve gone ahead and started thinking and planning a bit last night, which is what the paper prototype is all about.

I have a couple family things to do this weekend but other than that it’s crank out website goodness 🙂 Pretty proud of it actually..